Children & Film Panorama is a section of the Zanzibar International Film Festival, made in collaboration between the DFI and ZIFF.
Children & Film Panorama was designed and initiated in 2007 in partnership between Zanzibar International Film Festival (ZIFF) and The Danish Film Institute (DFI).
The aim of Children & Film Panorama is to strengthen the focus on films for young audiences in East Africa by building up a children’s film section and a professional forum at ZIFF.
One long term vision is to develop a film culture for children and an audience for the future. Another aim is to develop the capacities for producing films for – and distributing films to – children and young people in East Africa.
Children & Film Panorama has been running successfully through the first three year phase, 2008-2010. In the second three year phase, 2011-2013, both parties want Children & Film Panorama to continue and to grow stronger as follows:
- as a permanent section of ZIFF consisting of quality film screenings and dialogue for children and young people as well as master classes for the professional film industry
- as an outreach regional year-round festival activity for young audiences, in towns and villages in Unguja, Pemba and Tanzania mainland
ZIFF are now the main responsible for Children & Film Panorama. DFI are currently responsible for the following tasks:
- Serve as initiator and partner
- Serve as advisor and consultant
- Write support letters for the fundraising done by ZIFF
- Advice on economy
- Advice on general festival matters
- Advice on international film titles
- Advice on Danish film titles
- Acquire screening rights for Danish films (if ZIFF selects Danish titles)
- Establish possible links between Children & Film Panorama at ZIFF and Youth & Film Uganda (a cooperation between DFI, Maisha Film Lab, DCCD and the Royal Danish Embassy Uganda)
Children & Film Panorama has been generously supported by the Danish Arts Agency, Danish Center for Culture and Development and King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid’s Foundation.
Below you can watch a short film the 2010 Children & Film Panorama at ZIFF. The film was directed and produced by Anne Svejgård Lund, with support from the DFI.