On the professional training course in 3D Character Animation at The Animation Workshop, VIA University College you will learn from active professionals in an incredibly creative environment and develop both your technical and artistic 3D skills.
Under the supervision of animation professionals, you are introduced to the modeling and animation software Maya and to 3D character animation. You will be guided through a series of exercises designed to transfer the classical 2D animation principles onto the computer and a 3D platform. The focus will be on body mechanics and physical action during the basic training, followed by the advanced concepts of pantomime acting and lip sync - both introduced in 2-week mini productions. The course culminates in a 2-week final project, a short animation, structured as a collaborative project. This will comprise each student’s showreel masterpiece; with which you can apply for jobs as a junior 3D character animator.
As an online add-on, you will benefit from a portfolio bootcamp with exactly this mind: how to maximize your chances to get a job in the animation industry. You will be guided and mentored by industry experts in how to create an effective showreel and portfolio.
Finally, you will be encouraged and supported in attending the Annecy International Animation Film Festival in France in June. The festival and market is a great place to start showing your newly updated showreel, meeting animation studio executives, and applying for jobs as a junior 3D character animator.
What you get:
- An intensive course developed with the help of industry professionals
- Instructors from the industry who have up-to-date and production-tested knowledge
- Hands-on teaching and practice every day from morning to afternoon
- 24-7 access to your own personal workstation with industry-standard software
- Art and didactic materials
- Assistance with housing and travel advice
- A professional network
- OPTIONAL: Professional accreditation to the Annecy International Animation Film Festival in France right after the course
Instructors (subject to change)
- Henrik Malmgren, SE. AV Generalist, CEO and founder of Good Job Studios.
- Stine Agerskov Frandsen, DK. Animator at AV design, formerly at TeamTO.
- Robert Bennett, USA. Acting teacher, and director for animated films (Les Gobelins, The Animation Workshop, VIA UC, EMCA etc.)
- Erik Schmidt, DK. Animation Supervisor at Sun Creature.
- Christoffer Andersen, DK. Freelance animator
- Fredrick Fassé, CAN. Animation Director at Doberman Pictures.
- Julie Astrup, DK. 3D animator at Copenhagen Bombay Productions
(The 3D Character Animation course is funded by the Creative Europe MEDIA program.)
For further questions contact: