Jørgen Leth, Eva Marie Rødbro and Simon Lereng Wilmont will be showcasing their latest films in IDFA competitions, while more Danish directors will be making their international or world premieres in IDFA's non-competitive programmes.
Running 20 November – 1 December, this year's IDFA will also be celebrating Jørgen Leth with a Lifetime Achievement Award for his extensive oeuvre since the early 1960s.
Danish films and filmmakers at IDFA 2019
Below is a summary of the Danish films and filmmakers selected for this year's festival. You can find background stories and more on our festival page at dfi.dk/idfa.
Lifetime Achievement Award
- Jørgen Leth receives honorary award for his oeuvre.
IDFA Competition for Feature-Length Documentary
- I Walk by Jørgen Leth. Produced by Sigrid Dyekjær for Danish Documentary Production.
IDFA Competition for First Appearance
- I Love You I Miss You I Hope I See You Before I Die by Eva Marie Rødbro. Produced by Julie Friis Walenciak for Paloma Productions.
IDFA Competition for Kids & Docs
- Bird Boy by Simon Lereng Wilmont. Produced by Maria Stevnbak Westergren for Toolbox Film.
IDFA DocLab Competition for Immersive Non-Fiction
IDFA Competition for Creative Use of Archive
- Reflector by Piotr Winiewicz and Dawid Gorny. Produced by Mads Damsbo for Makropol.
- Fat Front by Louise Unmack Kjeldsen and Louise Detlefsen. Produced by Malene Flindt Pedersen for Hansen & Pedersen Film og Fjernsyn.
Best of Fests
- The Cave by Feras Fayyad. Produced by Kirstine Barfod and Sigrid Dyekjær for Danish Documentary Production.
- Hunting for Hedonia by Pernille Rose Grønkjær. Produced by Sigrid Dyekjær for Danish Documentary Production.
- Love Child by Eva Mulvad. Produced by Sigrid Dyekjær for Danish Documentary Production.
- The Winter Journey by Anders Østergaard. Produced by Mette Heide for Plus Pictures.
Focus: The Villain
- The Look of Silence by Joshua Oppenheimer. Produced by Signe Byrge Sørensen for Final Cut for Real.
- Aswang by Alyx Ayn Arumpac (Philippines, France, Norway, Qatar, Germany). Danish co-producer is Henrik Underbjerg for Stray Dog Productions. Festival series: IDFA Competition for First Appearance
- My Darling Supermarket by Tali Yankelevich (Brazil, Denmark). Dansk co-producer: Good Company Pictures. Festival series: IDFA Competition for First Appearance.
- A Comedian in a Syrian Tragedy by Rami Farah (France, Denmark, Syria, Jordan, Norway). Danish co-producer is Signe Byrge Sørensen for Final Cut for Real. Festival series: Luminous.
- In Mansourah, You Separated Us by Dorothée Myriam Kellou (Algeria, France, Denmark). Danish co-producer is Sara Stockmann for Sonntag Pictures. Festival series: Focus: It Still Hurts, Best of Fests.
- Khartoum Offside by Marwa Zein (Sudan, Danmark, Norge, Frankrig). Danish co-producer is Henrik Underbjerg for Stray Dog Productions. Festival series: Best of Fests, Spotlight: Sudan.
- The Kingmaker by Lauren Greenfield (USA, Danmark). Danish co-producer is Sigrid Dyekjær for Danish Documentary Production. Festival series: Best of Fests, Focus: The Villain.