Leaving the bubble
INTERVIEW. Always on the lookout for something unique, Kaspar Astrup Schröder tracked two twin sisters, Molly and Smilla, over four years to make 'Fantasy, Fantasy', a children’s documentary about two autistic girls coming into their teens.
Celebrating youth, love and doubt
INTERVIEW. ‘The Two of Us’ is a documentary about two young people who have broken up but haven’t left each other yet. "It’s a highly potent dramatic space," says director Emil Næsby Hansen, who discovered his two protagonists on Instagram.
Global Love – Migration on the Intimate Stage of Marriage
INTERVIEW. Janus Metz and Sine Plambech return to the subject of Thai women's marriage migration to a small Danish town in 'Heartbound', a story of globalisation, opportunity, sacrifice and, yes, love.
IDFA FORUM. Six Danish projects are lined up this year for IDFA's influential financing market – films by directors Camilla Nielsson, Sun Hee Engelstoft, Mira Jargil, René Sascha Johannsen, Lasse Barkfors, Frida Barkfors and Guy Davidi touching on subjects of democracy, international adoption, family guilt and more.Read more
Before the Curtain Falls / Anders Østergaard
Martin Goldsmith never knew what really had happened to his parents Georg and Rosemarie before their escape from Germany in 1941. As he confronts his father, we are brought back to the complex 1930s, when his parents were young musicians in a bizarre organisation – Jüdischer Kulturbund.
The Cave / Feras Fayyad
Deep beneath the surface in the Syrian province of Al Ghouta, a group of female doctors have established an underground field hospital.
Cherry Tale / Eva Mulvad
Three entrepreneurs aim high as they decide to produce a high quality cherry wine, which receives praise all over the world. Soon, however, the dark clouds of the financial crisis are looming over the Nordic wine castle.
News from the DFI
The Cave wins audience award in Toronto
16. sep 2019 | AWARDS. Feras Fayyad took home the Grolsch People’s Choice Documentary Award at Toronto Film Festival for his Syrian war documentary, 'The Cave', produced by Danish Documentary Production. The film was
Trine Dyrholm and Ulrich Thomsen take on Erna at War
13. sep 2019 | IN PRODUCTION. Henrik Ruben Genz is adapting Erling Jepsen’s novel ’Erna at War’ for the big screen, a story about the resourceful Erna, played by Trine Dyrholm, who in 1918 goes to extreme lengths to protect her
Lisa Jespersen debuts with humorous drama
13. sep 2019 | IN PRODUCTION. Lisa Jespersen has started shooting for her feature debut, supported by the New Danish Screen talent programme. Production company Hyæne Film are making their second feature after Ulaa Salim's
IDFA director: Diversity is also about artistic expression
11. sep 2019 | INTERVIEW. The dominant Western documentary tradition has become too standardized, and that's just one reason to be more open to other regions' approaches, says artistic director of IDFA, Orwa Nyrabia. Since
Rubaiyat Hossain: Women are agents of change
11. sep 2019 | INTERVIEW. In her Toronto title 'Made in Bangladesh', director Rubaiyat Hossain tells the story of a young female factory worker fighting for better conditions through the union. With the film, co-produced by
Drama Resin selected for Toronto
05. sep 2019 | FESTIVAL. Daniel Borgman's drama 'Resin', about a family who has escaped the confinements of modern society to live in symbiosis with nature, is selected for Toronto Film Festival. In the documentary section
Feras Fayyad: Dr. Amani was challenging the stereotypes
04. sep 2019 | INTERVIEW. An evocative, birds-eye view of women's lives in a hellish warzone, 'The Cave' is a deeply personal film for Feras Fayyad, a film stretching back to his childhood and into the humanitarian
Frank Piasecki Poulsen is new commissioner for documentaries
02. sep 2019 | FILM PEOPLE. The Danish Film Institute has appointed filmmaker Frank Piasecki Poulsen as new commissioner for documentary films.
Denmark and Canada renew collaboration on digital content
01. sep 2019 | NEW MEDIA. The Danish Film Institute and the Canada Media Fund have extended, for a third year, their co-development agreement for digital media projects between Danish and Canadian producers.
Anne Marie Kürstein
Tel. +45 4041 4697
Head of Documentaries
Tel. +45 2027 7872
Noemi Ferrer Schwenk
Head of International
Tel. +45 5096 7411
Tel. +45 3374 3474