Kids & Docs
Leaving the bubble
INTERVIEW. Always on the lookout for something unique, Kaspar Astrup Schröder tracked two twin sisters, Molly and Smilla, over four years to make 'Fantasy, Fantasy', a children’s documentary about two autistic girls coming into their teens.
Luminous / Best of Fests / Digital Storytelling
Celebrating youth, love and doubt
INTERVIEW. ‘The Two of Us’ is a documentary about two young people who have broken up but haven’t left each other yet. "It’s a highly potent dramatic space," says director Emil Næsby Hansen, who discovered his two protagonists on Instagram.
Global Love – Migration on the Intimate Stage of Marriage
INTERVIEW. Janus Metz and Sine Plambech return to the subject of Thai women's marriage migration to a small Danish town in 'Heartbound', a story of globalisation, opportunity, sacrifice and, yes, love.
IDFA FORUM. Six Danish projects are lined up this year for IDFA's influential financing market – films by directors Camilla Nielsson, Sun Hee Engelstoft, Mira Jargil, René Sascha Johannsen, Lasse Barkfors, Frida Barkfors and Guy Davidi touching on subjects of democracy, international adoption, family guilt and more.Read more
Before the Curtain Falls / Anders Østergaard
Martin Goldsmith never knew what really had happened to his parents Georg and Rosemarie before their escape from Germany in 1941. As he confronts his father, we are brought back to the complex 1930s, when his parents were young musicians in a bizarre organisation – Jüdischer Kulturbund.
The Cave / Feras Fayyad
Deep beneath the surface in the Syrian province of Al Ghouta, a group of female doctors have established an underground field hospital.
Cherry Tale / Eva Mulvad
Three entrepreneurs aim high as they decide to produce a high quality cherry wine, which receives praise all over the world. Soon, however, the dark clouds of the financial crisis are looming over the Nordic wine castle.
News from the DFI
Danish films at CPH:DOX 2023
15. mar 2023 | DOCUMENTARY. The renowned Copenhagen-based documentary festival, CPH:DOX, returns this year with a diverse range of international and Danish documentaries from March 15 to March 26.
Danish films and industry in Berlin 2023
15. feb 2023 | BERLIN. The Berlinale will host the world premiere of Malene Choi's feature film 'The Quiet Migration' in the Panorama section, as well as Amalie Maria Nielsen's short 'The Shift' in Generation Kplus and…
Everything must feel true
08. feb 2023 | INTERVIEW. Malene Choi’s ’The Quiet Migration’ will have its world premiere at the Berlinale on February 17th, where she is nominated for the First Feature Award for debutants. We spoke with her about the film…
Using film music is a really powerful tool
06. feb 2023 | INTERVIEW. Martin Dirkov won this year's Danish Robert award for his score for 'Holy Spider' and will represent Denmark at the Nordic film composer award, the HARPA award, in late February. Here he shares his…
Göteborg Film Festival crowns Danish films with prestigious awards
03. feb 2023 | AWARDS. Göteborg Film Festival awards Malou Reyman's 'Unruly' with Best Nordic Film, while Lea Glob's 'Apolonia, Apolonia' wins Best Nordic Documentary. Danish photographer Jacob Møller's work in 'Copenhagen…
2 Oscar nominations for Danish films
24. jan 2023 | OSCAR 2023. Simon Lereng Wilmont's documentary film ‘A House Made of Splinters’ is nominated in the Documentary Feature Category and the short film ‘Ivalu’ by Anders Walter and Pipaluk K. Jørgensen is nominated…
Five Danish films in the main competitions at Göteborg Film Festival
10. jan 2023 | FESTIVAL. Nine Danish films are part of the festival line-up at the biggest Nordic film festival starting on January 26. Four Danish feature films are selected for Nordic Competition and one Danish documentary…
'Holy Spider', 'A House Made of Splinters' and 'Ivalu' advance in the Oscar race
22. dec 2022 | Oscars 2023. Ali Abbasi's 'Holy Spider' is on the Oscar shortlist in the International Feature Film category and Simon Lereng's 'A House Made of Splinters' in the Documentary Feature category while Anders Walter…
The Quiet Migration invited to the Berlinale
15. dec 2022 | BERLINALE. Malene Choi's 'The Quiet Migration' is invited to the Panorama section of the Berlinale.