Leaving the bubble
INTERVIEW. Always on the lookout for something unique, Kaspar Astrup Schröder tracked two twin sisters, Molly and Smilla, over four years to make 'Fantasy, Fantasy', a children’s documentary about two autistic girls coming into their teens.
Celebrating youth, love and doubt
INTERVIEW. ‘The Two of Us’ is a documentary about two young people who have broken up but haven’t left each other yet. "It’s a highly potent dramatic space," says director Emil Næsby Hansen, who discovered his two protagonists on Instagram.
Global Love – Migration on the Intimate Stage of Marriage
INTERVIEW. Janus Metz and Sine Plambech return to the subject of Thai women's marriage migration to a small Danish town in 'Heartbound', a story of globalisation, opportunity, sacrifice and, yes, love.
IDFA FORUM. Six Danish projects are lined up this year for IDFA's influential financing market – films by directors Camilla Nielsson, Sun Hee Engelstoft, Mira Jargil, René Sascha Johannsen, Lasse Barkfors, Frida Barkfors and Guy Davidi touching on subjects of democracy, international adoption, family guilt and more.Read more
Before the Curtain Falls / Anders Østergaard
Martin Goldsmith never knew what really had happened to his parents Georg and Rosemarie before their escape from Germany in 1941. As he confronts his father, we are brought back to the complex 1930s, when his parents were young musicians in a bizarre organisation – Jüdischer Kulturbund.
The Cave / Feras Fayyad
Deep beneath the surface in the Syrian province of Al Ghouta, a group of female doctors have established an underground field hospital.
Cherry Tale / Eva Mulvad
Three entrepreneurs aim high as they decide to produce a high quality cherry wine, which receives praise all over the world. Soon, however, the dark clouds of the financial crisis are looming over the Nordic wine castle.
News from the DFI
Danish talent development sows inspiration abroad
19. jun 2019 | TALENT DEVELOPMENT. 'Danes Do It Better!' is the title of a special programme at Neuchâtel Fantastic Film Festival about Danish inventiveness and the talent programme New Danish Screen. Former DFI producer Johnny
Mads Mikkelsen in Thomas Vinterberg's next feature
12. jun 2019 | IN PRODUCTION. Mads Mikkelsen returns to Danish film playing the lead in Thomas Vinterberg's upcoming drama about a group of friends embarking on an experiment to prove that modest intoxication opens our minds to
Danish animation strikes again in Annecy
06. jun 2019 | ANIMATION. The Danish presence at the Annecy Festival and its influential MIFA market has been growing in recent years, the 2019 edition being no exception. In competition is 'Checkered Ninja', a runaway
Afghan-Danish duo returns to Directors' Fortnight
14. may 2019 | INTERVIEW. Director Shahrbanoo Sadat and producer Katja Adomeit will premiere their third collaboration, 'The Orphanage', in Directors' Fortnight in Cannes. Set in Kabul during the pro-Soviet government, the
Faroese Andrias Høgenni: "Every culture has the right to its own stories"
13. may 2019 | INTERVIEW. Andrias Høgenni has learnt to trust his basic instincts while working on his graduation film 'Ikki illa meint' about two Faroese girlfriends’ awkward reunion. The director, who grew up in the Faroe
Ole Bornedal preparing World War II drama
10. may 2019 | UPCOMING FILM. Funding is almost secured for Ole Bornedal’s high-budget historical drama, ‘Shadows In My Eyes’, about the bombing of the Gestapo headquarters in Copenhagen in 1945. Shooting is scheduled to start
Peter Hjorth: Effects are for communicating a vision
10. may 2019 | Cannes 2019. VFX supervisor Peter Hjorth can create any kind of effect on the computer. But he would much rather be on set, mixing the perfect slime to make asphalt look authentic. The Danish special effects
Greenland films to be digitised
07. may 2019 | DIGITISATION. A new grant will enable even more historical films about Greenland and Arctic region to be digitised – films with the potential to broaden our perspective on climate changes and geopolitics.
Facts & Figures 2019 available
06. may 2019 | PUBLICATION. 2018 presented a high market share for Danish films, ranking Denmark fourth among European nations. Find these numbers and more on film production and distribution in Denmark in our latest edition
Anne Marie Kürstein
Tel. +45 4041 4697
Head of Documentaries
Tel. +45 2027 7872
Noemi Ferrer Schwenk
Head of International
Tel. +45 5096 7411
Tel. +45 3374 3474